Saturday, January 2, 2010

I Didn't Think it Would be so Hard

Silly me.

I've been avoiding this for the longest time, but I chalked it up to my usual procrastination. Then to the busyness of the holidays. But today I started. Just a little bit, but enough to make me realize how hard it really is going to be.

I started going through Harriett's belongings.

Let me set the scene a little. In the last months of her life Harriett moved into the "spare" bedroom on the main floor of our home. It was originally to be Mom's room so a lot of Mom's stuff was already in there. And it was the room that held the cookbook shelf, the candles & candle holders, vases, tablecloths, etc. You get the picture. Since her death the wheel chair and disability equipment has been put in there. Krissy's dresser when she got a new one. Holiday items we were uncertain of using this year. And under it all, Harriett's things from her final days.

The room itself simply needed to be organized and recovered from being a catch all. Then I got to Harriett's belongings and knew it would be a good idea to keep on. One of the first things I picked up was her wig.

Wigs sort of creep me out anyway. Like the trophy of a scalping. But along with the wig were a half dozen or more knit hats that Harriett preferred to wear. It's hard to handle those things and not think of her and miss her. It's hard to even write about it.

I didn't really expect it to be so hard.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to be reading your blogs again Bets. I didn't keep abreast of things thru M/S to know that Harriett had passed on. So sorry but it should be a comfort to you that you were able to make her final days comfortable and happy.

    ReplyDelete