Friday, August 20, 2010

He Likes/She Likes

Why is it the woman (or maybe just me, Betsy, alone - ?) is always the one to acquiesce?

You know what I mean. It's the "little" things. My hubby likes his pants folded one way, I fold mine another. Years ago, after he mentioned it once or twice, I began folding his pants his way and continued to fold mine my way. Easy enough, right?

However, in "normal" male oblivion, when folding my pants he folds them his way. It annoys me, but I overlook the inconsistency and feel happy he has folded my pants!

When I do things around the house I do them with him in mind. It this the way he would like it? When he does things around the house he does them without consideration - they are the way he would like them.

When I shop I buy the things and brands that he likes.

And so it goes.

One day he decided the house did not need to be so cool.... er- less warm. So the thermostat was turned up and he trots off to his nicely air conditioned office each day and I swelter at home. Once again, I have acquiesced to his desires.

Recently he installed a ceiling fan/light in our bedroom. It was much needed not only for the fan, but we had no overhead light and our room was very dark. I love our new fan/light! Can I also tell you how much I love a gentle breeze washing over me on hot evenings? It's something my husband knows, too.

The fan was installed while I was out of town and upon returning home I was given the tour of its features. Light switch on the wall turns on the upper lights. Not very bright but oh so much better than our former "no lights." With the remote we can control the fan and the lower light from anywhere in the room. Fan: three speeds! Light: dimmer capability!! I am feeling the love.

Then the really big news... Hubby tells me that he set the fan switch to reverse. This means the fan pulls the air up from the floor rather than pushes it down from the ceiling. This matters, why? Because there is no breeze when the air is being sucked up!! Not the same kind of breeze created when it's being pushed down. I seriously doubt he even thought about what I would prefer since it was his opportunity to do what he prefers. Guess I'm still going to need to put a fan on my side of the bed...

This fan also came with a ghost. Or unleashed one. I thought at first it came with the fan since this is a house we built and I thought hadn't seen death. Then I remembered Harriett did indeed die here. And perhaps she's returned to play with (tease) me.

Mark gets up early for work and I sleep peacefully on. One day he asked why I always turn the fan off when he's in the shower. Trust me - if I'm sleeping I am not about to wake up to turn off a fan that I can barely even feel blowing on me. If that fan is off I can assure you it was not me who did it! One evening I was in bed reading and the dimmer light came on. Really? I had no need for it at that particular time. I put down my book, turned off both lights and closed my eyes to sleep. a few minutes later it was on again.

Last night we outright battled it out. I headed to bed around midnight and found that I still needed to put my freshly washed sheets on the bed. I turned the dimmer light full on so I could easily make my way around and .... snap! I was in the dark! I turned it back on and it snapped back off. I turned on the wall switch so I wouldn't be completely in the dark and began a game of lights on/lights off. So I thought I'd change it up a bit and turn the fan off. Fan came back on the lights went off. Grrr... I LIKE a good light when I am making my bed!! My "ghost" finally relented and allowed me some light time and I got the bed put together.

Krissy came into the room shortly after that and I thought I'd entertain her with some ghostly hi-jinx, but apparently the spirit of playfulness had passed. I couldn't tempt that light or fan on or off. Krissy now thinks I am crazy.

Hubby knows better. When he came to bed 20 or so minutes later the light popped on for him. We laughed and he turned it off. I soon fell asleep with air being ever so (too) gently sucked up around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment