Friday, June 24, 2011

Pet Peeve #18

This is a carry-over from my old MySpace blog where long ago I started blogging about my Pet Peeves.  I was tempted to just make this a FB status, but then I realized that having started the Pet Peeve posts I felt an obligation to continue them in the same format.

Pet Peeve #18 is people who do not respond to emails.  Of course I am not speaking of the simple every day sort of email, but the emails that ask for and require a response.  The emails that the sender initiates because he/she needs a response. 

Case in point.  One of my daughters has worked a seasonal job for the past two years.  She contacted the employer by email inquiring whether or not they could use her this year.  She even asked me to review the email before she sent it and I specifically suggested she add a line at the end in the form of a question that would require a response.  This she did.

This potential employer never responded to her.  She later heard through friends that the job was gearing up but still heard nothing.  Not even, "Sorry, we have a full crew already.".

I find this appalling!  Even if one must send out the less desirable response, at least respond!

The second example I have involves the same daughter asking a friend for assistance with a project.  Instead of responding with something like, "sorry, but I can't fit it into my schedule," the emailed request gets ignored. Fortunately, my daughter is bright enough to move forward with things even while waiting for responses that are not forthcoming.  She knows better than to depend on the undependable.

Is it just me or is this kind of passivity just rude?

Okay, that's out of my system. On to happier things!

No comments:

Post a Comment