Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I've Joined a Gym


Was that my out-loud voice? I guess the cat is out of the bag, now.

Yes I have joined a gym. Inspired by my kids, I made the commitment to 'get fit.' I've committed to three days a week, and I use that word (committed) in a variety of ways. For instance, I should be committed - or at the very least have my head examined!!

I've been going for a month now and the good news is, it gets easier. I don't know if there is bad news. Maybe the bad news is that it always takes a mental kick in the pants to get there. But the other good news is that when I get there I feel really good about it. Almost like a sigh of relief, I am here, I am doin' it!!

I don't know anyone else who goes to this gym so I am on my own and only accountable to myself. I like that part of it too, because I am not looking over my shoulder wondering who is checking up on me. I do what I want to do and how I want to do it and I sweat and groan and then it's over. A nice cooling shower and I'm on my way, refreshed and energized.

Alyssa and I are going to Disneyland in July and I am so excited. I know I will enjoy that trip so much more knowing that I have the energy and stamina to go go go!

Part of my routine each time I go is a minimum of 30 minutes of cardio. With the heart issues in my family I am finding this a necessity and it really is the part that energizes me. I decided the other day to start keeping track of the miles I walk, pedal or ellip. And with that mileage, I am going to start mapping out where I have traveled under my own power.

Next I have to decide which direction I want to go. Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment